Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Energy Tips Can Save Money !!

I often wondered growing up why my parents would tell me, "turn off the light Sara."
Now that I am that parent and aunt, I am often repeating myself except I add, "and that TV." You may wonder what the big deal is? I too wonder until I got my first bill of my new home in 2000. It was a Duke Energy bill because we were on electric and not gas at that time. It was also for two months because of how the bill cycle fell. I opened the bill and gasped for air. I showed it to my husband and he nonchalantly continued a conversation he was having with our son. I was sure that there was an error with the bill. I called Duke Energy to inquire their procedures and if this was an estimate or did they REALLY read my meter. They determined that it was indeed an accurate read!
"Really, I blurted out, Really??? I came from the coldest of the north and my bill in 4 months was never this high.!!" I am sure she was thinking, then go back North. I paid the mortgage, I mean electric bill and decided to do some observing over the next month.

Everyone, I mean all 3 kids, husband and dog left the lights on. The thermostat was moved again and again; I would adjust it to 71 and somehow, an invisible person would move it again and again.


Because our kids did not have Televisions in their room, fortunately I didn't have to monitor that power button. However, I would have to shout up the stairs, "did you turn your lights off?" "Yes mam" would echo in the foyer synchronized as if they were singing the hook to a song.

The next month's bill came. I ripped it open to see if my diligence paid off. Yes, I replied, 30% less. I knew we could do better the next month. It would be the last cold month for Charlotte. Again, the next month's bill came and we were down 50%. The experts say that it takes 30 days to create a habit. It may have been sixty days, but I was elated with the progress. Today my kids have homes of their own and when I visit, I am proud to say that they are very energy efficient!

The great thing is that we are working as a society to become more green. Duke Energy has great information on how to save on your home bills. Their research shows that 43% of residential energy consumption is heating and cooling, 12% is water heating and lighting is 11%. Just the three categories above is over 67% of our total bill. We can really decrease our budget by carefully creating new habits.

I received a wonderful surprise today in the mail. It was a duke energy efficiency starter kit. It included wonderful information and 6 Compact Fluorescent Bulbs, (CFL). I posted this blog because of this surprise and the great information in this kit.

I want to leave you with one fact from the U.S. Department of Energy; "In the average home, up to 75% of the electricity used to power home electronics occurs when the devices are turned off." I suggest unplugging those toasters, car chargers and night lights when they are not in use. It will make a difference.

1 comment:

MG Photography said...

Hi Sara (I tried to email you, but it came back to me....hope this reaches you)

We've never met, but I just wanted to let you know that you have been on my heart and in my prayers. I hope you don't think I'm some crazy woman! You, Reggie and your family were always special to me growing up. I admired your faith, walk, love and devotion to everything you did. Reggie was (and still is) my FAVORITE football player ever! Maybe because the season is starting up, you've been on my mind. I'm not sure how the real estate business is down by you, but I pray that you are doing well (in all areas of your life). Know that you and your family made a huge impact in so many lives, I wanted to let you know that- I appreciate it! Know that you are loved and prayed for.



Sisters in Him,

Megan